How do I configure the low battery message?
The SPOT Trace will indicate that battery power reserves are low with an intermittent flashing red power LED. When the SPOT Trace begins to indicate a low battery we strongly suggest changing them.
For reliable performance, use AAA Energizer Ultimate Lithium 8x batteries (L92), NiMH rechargeable batteries, or line power. Using USB line power will NOT charge rechargeable batteries and is NOT waterproof unless using the Waterproof DC power cable (sold separately).
NiMH batteries cannot be charged within the SPOT TRACE using line power. The SPOT Trace is NOT waterproof while line powered unless using the Waterproof DC power cable (sold separately
The Low Battery Message feature is enabled per factory settings. It may be configured by following the steps below.
To configure your Low Battery Message:
- Login to your SPOT Account.
- From the My Devices page, click View/Edit of the device you wish to configure
- Select Low Battery Message from the device settings column
- You may customize the message to send – useful for accounts tracking multiple assets
- You may configure your contact list
- Your changes to the Low Battery Message will automatically be saved.
I did not receive a low battery message.
- The SPOT Trace will attempt to send a low battery notification at the time of the drop below the threshold and will repeat the notification each following day with the Status message if both types of notifications have been enabled.
- The SPOT Trace will not be able to send a low battery notification if the device has completely run out of batteries or if the device’s power reserve is too low to transmit a signal.
How do I replace the batteries of my SPOT Trace?
Follow these steps to replace the batteries in your Trace:
- With a Phillips-head screwdriver, unscrew the 4 enclosure screws.
- Carefully disassemble the SPOT Trace by evenly separating the two halves of the device.
If the two halves are separated unevenly it may result in damage.
- Remove the expired batteries and replace with new lithium or NiMH batteries
- Ensure batteries are oriented correctly in regard to the battery terminals.
- Combine the two halves of the Trace evenly and hold a firm grip at the center of the unit
- An amber light will appear for approximately 5 seconds, then screw the two halves together.