How do I configure Movement Alerts?
Movement Alerts are a convenient way to be notified of unauthorized movements of your asset. When the movement alert rate (the period of time the unit must be at rest) has elapsed, vibrations detected by the device will be interpreted as movement and the Trace will send a New Movement Alert. This alert can be sent to as many as 10 contacts and includes the last known location of the device. Once a New Movement Alert has been sent, tracking will resume at the pre-defined Tracking Interval selected in the Device Settings page of My Account. Tracking will continue until the device is stationary for 5 minutes, at which time the Suspended Tracking Mode will become active and a Stop Message will be sent at the time of the next Tracking Interval.
To configure New Movement Alerts:
- Login to your SPOT Account.
- From the My Devices page, click View/Edit of the device you wish to configure
- Select Movement Alerts from the device settings column
- Select Enable
The change to the setting will automatically be saved.
- Configure Movement Alert Rate
The default setting is 30 minutes and will be suitable for most applications
- You can select either 30 minutes (default) or 12 hours for the time or period that the unit must be at rest in order to receive a Movement Alert once Trace has detected movement. When the Trace has been at rest longer than the selected time period and the asset moves, the first track message and an alert that the asset has moved will be sent to the text/email destination selected during account setup.
- If you would like to temporarily cease New Movement notifications, without performing a firmware update, you may choose to Keep the feature active, but temporarily suspend messages.
- You may customize the message to send – useful for accounts tracking multiple assets
- You may also configure your contact list.
- Your changes to Movement Alert settings will automatically be saved.
Making changes to your device settings will require the synchronization of your device with your SPOT account. To update or sync the SPOT Trace the SPOT Device Updater
software is required. At this time, only Windows and Mac operating systems are supported.
Common Questions and Issues
My device is not sending New Movement Alerts after being moved.
- Ensure your device has an unobstructed view of the sky with the SPOT logo facing up.
- Low batteries can prevent message delivery, please check for Low Battery Alerts in My Account- My Locations (as well as all the way to the right of your locations listed in My Locations where a battery icon will indicate low power).
My Locations shows a message was sent but I did not receive the message.
- Use My Devices- Device Settings- New Movement Alerts to check if the contacts are listed correctly. Check Email and SMS contacts for accuracy and use the Save option found under the contacts list.
- Ensure that the check box for temporary suspension of movement alerts is not checked.