What are the SPOT Gen3's power options?
The SPOT Gen 3 offers three different power options:
Please note that the SPOT Gen 3 will NOT charge rechargeable NiMH batteries.
- AAA Energizer® Ultimate Lithium 8x batteries (L92)
- NiMH rechargeable batteries
- USB line power
The LED power light will blink red when the batteries are low. Please be aware of the environment as cold conditions and extreme heat can have a negative impact on battery life. We recommend carrying an extra set of batteries with you on your adventures.
For the consistent performance and reliability of your device, we do NOT recommend using alkaline batteries with your SPOT device. Using a USB cable for line powering your device may subject it to possible water or dust damage.
Common Questions and Issues
My device keeps turning off by itself
- The SPOT Gen 3 has been designed to effectively manage your battery power. If your device is not actively sending a message or in tracking mode, the SPOT Gen3 will turn off after 1 hour to preserve battery life.
My batteries are dying very quickly
- What type of batteries are you using? Alkaline batteries do not perform as Lithium or NiMH batteries and will drain faster.
- Are you using a low tracking interval? Low tracking intervals cause the device to communicate more often with our satellites and will consume your batteries faster.
What type of battery life can I expect from my SPOT Gen 3?
- The life of your Li or NiMH batteries are generally based on the number of messages that are sent from your device. If you would like to see a general estimate of battery life based on messages sent, please click here.