Date: July 27, 2012
SPOT LLC has issued a product recall on the SPOT Satellite Communicator which is bundled and sold exclusively with the DeLorme Earthmate PN-60w. SPOT LLC has discovered that a part, which does not meet operating specifications, was substituted in some SPOT Satellite Communicator devices during the manufacturing process.
In certain incidents, intended messages may not be transmitted, including requests for help or emergency assistance, when the SPOT Satellite Communicator is used at temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit/4.44 degrees Celsius.
Please note this DOES NOT impact the DeLorme Earthmate PN-60w handheld device itself or any other DeLorme product.
SPOT LLC is committed to providing the highest quality and best performance products to its customers. Therefore, SPOT LLC is conducting a complete product replacement of all SPOT Satellite Communicators within ESN range:
Please stop using the SPOT Satellite Communicator and follow the instructions below to promptly return the device for an immediate replacement of a new SPOT Satellite Communicator at no charge.
Important: Please DO NOT return the DeLorme PN-60w handheld. Only the SPOT Satellite Communicator should be returned.
The Replacement Process:
- Save any messenger data that you want to keep by clicking here to read instructions on saving your data. SPOT LLC is not responsible for any data loss.
- Contact our Customer Care department by calling 1 (866) 651-7768 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upon contacting customer care if your unit is determined to be a part of the recall, you will be forwarded shipping material to return your recalled device.
- When using the SPOT supplied materials, a pre-paid UPS shipping label will be paid for by SPOT LLC.
- Ship only your SPOT Satellite Communicator device and remove the batteries prior to shipping.
- Once your device has been received, you will be sent a replacement SPOT Satellite Communicator device which you can expect to receive within approximately 7 to 10 business days.
- For active subscribers, your current service will be swapped to the new SPOT Satellite Communicator with a new ESN number upon shipping.
This recall does not impact any other SPOT products including SPOT Personal Tracker, SPOT Messenger, SPOT IS, SPOT HUG, or SPOT Connect.
Thank you for being a SPOT customer. We appreciate your cooperation. SPOT LLC is dedicated to providing the highest quality and best performance products to our customers.
Product Return : Please contact SPOT Customer Care (1 (866) 651-7768 or email@example.com) to start the replacement process. Have your ESN number (located in the battery compartment) available so Customer Care can verify that it is part of the recall program and provide you the information to return your old Spot Satellite Communicator. Once your old unit has been received, a replacement SPOT Satellite Communicator will be sent to you. You can expect to receive your new SPOT Satellite Communicator within 7 to 10 business days upon receipt of your return. NOTE: SPOT LLC is not responsible for any data loss that occurs.