Most SPOT Users find track mode the perfect way to record a trip. Here’s a quick guideline on how to use tracking.
Once tracking is activated, SPOT automatically updates your GPS location every 10 minutes for 24 hours (or until canceled). No text or email messages are sent, but your online account is updated showing your waypoints on Google Maps™. You can even use the Shared Page function to so others can track your progress! Click Read More below for a refresher course on Tracking.
1. Always start Tracking by turning the unit off and then on.
2. It is good practice to send an OK message before you begin the Tracking command (this can easily identify if you have a Satellite GPS Fix, however, this step is not required). TIP – use your own cell number on the OK button so you know instantly when you have a GPS fix – SPOT will send you a text message.
3. Press the OK button and hold down until the green solid light starts blinking (usually takes about 5 sec.). Your tracking command will begin its cycle.
4. When SPOT is in Tracking mode, both lights “On/Off” and OK will blink for a 24-hour cycle. They will blink in synch when your SPOT has a GPS fix. If they blink out of sync you don’t have GPS fix and should move to a new location.
(Do not press any other key during the 24-hour cycle; this will cancel the Track command)
5. If the lights continuously blink in sync throughout the 24-hour cycle, you should have a successful GPS/Satellite fix and a message delivered to your account at www.findmespot.com.
6. After 24-hour cycle the Tracking command will turn off by itself. Tip: If you want tracking to continue, just turn the unit back on and engage tracking. This will ensure continuous tracks.
7. Attempting to send an OK message will cancel Tracking.
8. For best Tracking results, have SPOT lying horizontal with the logo facing the sky. If you’re hiking or riding, a good location is your shoulder strap of a hydration pack or backpack. Having SPOT on a belt can block part of the sky and satellites.
If you do not have tracking added to your account, you can now login to your account at https://login.findmespot.com and add the service at any time for $50 per year (prorated).